As some of you may know, I work for a company that produces events. The Word On The Street, Vancouver’s book and magazine festival is one of those events. This week is pretty busy and the office is super messy with production in full swing. If I seem quiet on my personal accounts, follow us on Twitter (our festival tag is #WOTSVAN10), read the blog, or “Like” us on Facebook. I’ll be in all those places promoting the festival!
Anyway, with the festival coming up, I thought I’d tell all my local friends to come down on Sunday, September 26 to Library Square and CBC Plaza. The festival is completely free, goes on rain or shine, from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm. There are author readings, magazine demos, panel talks, poetry readings, writing and publishing discussions, kids events, storytelling, exhibitors galore, and visual exhibits and demonstrations.
If I was a regular festival-goer (and/or could be in more than one place at a time) I would check out the following events:
- Panel: The Changing Face of Publishing [Writing Talks]
- Panel: Writing for Youth [Kids, Tweens & Teens Tent]
- Carolyn Herriot, Zero Mile Diet: A Year-Round Guide to Growing Organic Food [Canada Writes Tent]
- Norman Watt, Off The Beaten Path: A Hiking Guide to Vancouver’s North Shore [Canada Writes Tent]
- Francis Mansbridge, Vancouver Then and Now [Authors Tent]
- BC Book Arts Guild’s book-making demos (particularly handmade paper) [Library Promenade]
- Western Living Magazine — 10 Ways to Add Wow to Any Room with Amanda Ross [Magazine Life Tent]
- GardenWise Magazine — Five Easiest Vegetables to Grow with Sharon Hanna [Magazine Life Tent]
- Quilter’s Connection Magazine — Shopping Bags with Style with Janet Archibald [Magazine Life Tent]
- Meet the stars of CBC Radio [CBC Plaza / Studio]
- The Book Broads panel on promoting yourself [Writing Talks]
- Robert (Lucky) Budd, Voices of British Columbia: Stories from our Frontier [Writing Talks]
- Pandora’s Collective Twisted Poets Literary Salon [Poetry Tent]
- The Carnival Band [Mainstage]
- OCW Magazine presents Charlie Demers and The Sunday Service [Mainstage]
The Word On The Street Vancouver and CBC’s programming coincides with Culture Days — a Canada-wide initiative to celebrate arts and culture. Check out the website for listings in your neighbourhood!