1. Do you knit, crochet, or do both?
I can do both. I’ve only recently learned to crochet, but I’d love to be able to make those cute animaguri patterns. Right now I can make a mighty ugly square and edging.
2. What is your favorite one-skein project? What item do you find you knit the most of?
I actually don’t like to re-knit projects often. I am often attracted to toques and hats and headbands though. I don’t knit socks.at.all.
3. Do you like using a particular type of needle or hook? (wood, metal, straight, circular) Is there something you’ve been wanting to try, or a particular size you always seem to be short on?
I like metal needles and hooks. I just find the yarn slides easier on them. Although I have a lot of plastic too. I’m not picky really. I have a pair of bamboo straights that are to-die-for when knitting on. I think that circular needles are a brilliant invention, and I should probably learn how to do the magic loop.
4. What’s on your needles\hook right now? What’s your oldest UFO (unfinished object)?
Right now I have a crochet hat (aka me learning to crochet in a circle), a dishcloth or two (I’m trying out some new stitches) and I’m about to cast on for my mom because I never made her a stole but have 10 balls of chocolate alpaca. The oldest UFO would be the unfinished stole (I have about 5 rows done) from last October 2007. I’m pretty good about “disappearing” the UFO’s I really don’t like.
5. What are your favorite types of yarns? Are you allergic to any yarns, or just hate working with something? Anything type/brand of yarn you’ve been dying to try?
I really enjoy organic cotton (Blue Sky Alpaca) because it’s affordable for me. I recently tried Malabrigo and yumyum! I like 100% wool because it’s fun to felt, but to be honest it’s quite expensive. I’m not exactly picky and I’m not allergic to anything. I got some Mirasol as a gift and it’s delicious. Alpaca is yummy too. I prefer soft yarns. Oh! and I don’t really like knitting with anything less than worsted weight. Heh…. I just get frustrated with tiny yarn and tiny needles. I like medium-sized yarn and needles.
7. What are your favorite colors? Brights? Pastels? More muted colors? Variegated? Are there that make you want to stab yourself in the eye with your needles?
My favourite colour is blue. I love slightly heathered looks as well as deep jewel tones, not a bit fan of pastels. I also really like purples, bluegreens, teals, and fushias… those lovely jewel colours are fantastic. I can’t really think of anything I don’t like except when heavily variegated yarns pool. Ugh!
8. What is your favorite knit accessory, your fancy needles? stitch markers? your yarn cutter? What do you have TOO many of? What do you wish you had?
I’m a pretty basic knitter. I have some lovely stitch markers that were gifts, but I also use the cheapo plastic rings too. I have a measuring tape that jumps between my sewing box and my knitting bag. I think if I could have one thing (money being no object) it would be a swift and ball winder. I love making centre-pull yarn cakes!
1. Do you prefer boxed/packets, or something homemade?
Something resealable is great. I’ve never really had homemade hot cocoa. I love making it on the stove though with my Aero-Latte whippy thing.
2. Marshmallows or whipped cream?
3. Do you use any ‘add ins’.
I don’t really know what you mean. But I have hazelnut syrup from Starbucks in those big pump containers. Yum! Wait: What about those loverly Peppermint White Mocha’s from Starbucks. Does mocha count?
4. Are you a year round cocoa drinker or just in the winter months?
I think it’s just whatever it tickles my fancy. Sometimes I feel like a rich cocoa, othertimes just a steamed milk.
5. Do you like flavored cocoas or are you just a ’straight chocolate’ kind of person?
Peppermint Hot Chocolate is to diiiiiie for! Although there is nothing wrong with just hot chocolate, just as long as it’s not too rich. I don’t like dark chocolate of any variety, I like milk or white chocolate.
6. Do you enjoy cocoa from restaurants or shops like Starbucks? What are some of your favorites?
Sometimes, as long as it isn’t too rich. But what bugs me are the dregs at the end of the drink that you sometimes get. Although coffee shops usually make really good mochas because of the espresso. It’s not quite the same with just regular drip coffee at home!
7. You’ve just made the perfect cup of cocoa – is it in a thick mug, or a thinner cup? Where would you sit to drink it?
Medium mug. If the mug is too thick then it dribbles when I drink. How attractive! I would hopefully sit on the couch and watch a good movie, or curl up with a book. I love reading with a warm drink.
8. You’re enjoying that perfect cup, what treats will you enjoy with it? Are they sweet or salty? Crunchy? Soft and flaky?
Often the chocolate is rich enough that I don’t have treats with it. But if you must, I like cookies, just an oatmeal or digestive. Arrowroot baby cookies are a guilty pleasure if I can’t have McVities Light Digestives or Oat Hobnobs (both from England). haha :)
It’s all YOU!
1. Do you have other hobbies like spinning or scrapbooking?
I do scrapbook but not often enough. I usually only make special photo albums for specific trips.
2. Do you collect anything?
I really need to stop collecting! Haha. Mostly souvenirs from trips, I have a postcard wall, and I love books.
3. What is your favorite part of Winter?
Curling up with a good book. Also for Christmas I usually go to England to visit my boyfriend and his family (we’re long distance).
4. What sort of scents do you enjoy? Any difference in what you like for your house versus what you like for your body?
I like fresh citrus scents. I have lemon essential oil for my difuser and lots of Satsuma Body Shop products. I also like mint, eucalyptus, and other fresh scents like that. I don’t like heavily perfumed or flowery scents.
5. Are you allergic to anything?
No allergies here.
6. Are you on Ravelry? What’s your ID?
7. How would you spend an ideal winter afternoon/day?
Curled up with my boyfriend in bed all day. No not what you’re thinking! I would be reading my book and he would be playing video games.
8. What’s your favorite animal?
Cats probably :) But I also like horses, dogs, chinchillas, lambs, Pooh Bear, ducks, penguins, and really anything cute and cuddily.